Healthy Home Tips
Follow these simple tips to keep your home and family healthy and happy.
9 Easy Ways to Save Money Around Your Home
At a time when so many families are trying to get the most out of their hard-earned dollar, your friends at FilterQueen® have put together a list of our favorite money-saving tips. These tips are quick and easy, and they will save you hundreds of dollars over the course of a year.
- To remove candle wax from tablecloths or from candleholders, place the item in the freezer until the wax freezes, and then peel it off.
- Boil cinnamon and cloves to freshen the air in your home.
- Sprinkle baking soda on carpet stains when they occur. Leave on overnight and vacuum.
- Appliances and electronics drain power from your wall outlet even when they’re not in use. Unplug these devices when you are not using them. Or, use a “smart” power strip that senses when appliances are off, cutting the “phantom” energy use.
- Wash clothes in cold water whenever possible. As much as 85% of the energy used to machine-wash clothes goes to heating the water.
- Install compact fluorescent light bulbs when your older incandescent bulbs burn out. Replacing a regular light bulb with an approved compact fluorescent light will save you $30 in energy costs over the life of the bulb.
Be Conservative About Spending
- Use a water filter to purify tap water instead of buying bottled water. Bottled water is expensive, and it generates a great deal of waste.
- Utilize your local library to check out new music, books, and DVDs.
- Eat in more frequently. Eating out adds up quickly, and the food is often packed with calories and fat.